Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Christie Martin

When I lived in Minnesota Thursdays were "Girls Day".  The tradition started just months before I moved, and consisted of a group of friends gathering together with all our kids and solving all the world's problems while drinking box wine from mason jars.  At our last girls day, everyone promised to visit West Virginia the next Thursday.  (I have it all on video for proof!!).  FINALLY, after almost SIX years, my dear friend Christie Martin just made her first trip to West Virginia!!    Christie is just a one of a kind sort of gal, and I have missed her so much! 


She most definitely has the gift of hospitality!  Christie is the one who gave me a chair to sleep in and hosted daily gatherings of 10+ adults and 20+children on my trip out there in 2007.

She has been known to gather RVs in her yard so that the party never has to go home. 


Her dog just birthed 11 puppies, and Christie spent weeks caring for each puppy, swaddling and bottle-feeding because Mama Daisy couldn't keep up.



Visits with Christie always include large quantities of coffee and wonderful discussions on God and life.  She asks the questions that most people don't want to ask, and doesn't give up on God even when people and church fail her.  Once, when I was being dumb, she actually yelled at me.  She might have thought she was just mad, but it really changed me for the better.  She addressed my stupidity (like a true friend )when others were staying quiet. 



And a couple of weeks ago, Christie drove for almost 24 hours with her three youngest kids for her first WV vacation!  I'm pretty sure they thought they were NEVER going to get here and arrived all wobbly and glassy-eyed.  But, we had a wonderful time, and I am so thankful that she came.  We just sat around drinking lemonade and talking.  Well, that and feeding constantly hungry kids.  She got me addicted to cracked pepper and olive oil Triscuits, and I watched in amazement as she downed more pickles and hot sauce than any person I've ever seen.  This picture of her sandwich the last day she was here is classic Christie and a good picture of the kind of person she is--a mix of so many good things!!



I love you Christie Martin!!  Come to West Virginia any time...



No comments:

Post a Comment