Thursday, December 2, 2010

On a Cold Minnesota Night...

Yes...it seems that I now only blog on birthdays!  At least that guarantees six blogs a year, right? 

As the blog title suggests, something very important happened on a cold Minnesota night... nine years ago.  Judah Nathanael Turner was born into this world...a chunk of a boy!  Judah was a day shy of three weeks overdue, but because I had a wonderful midwife friend, I refused to be induced.  Perhaps my dates were wrong or maybe he was just really, really comfortable.  I always say he knew the frigid Minnesota temperatures that were awaiting him outside the womb and really just wanted to stay put where it was warm until springtime. 

At 43 weeks pregnant we still did not know if Judah was a boy or a girl.  We did have an ultrasound, but they did it too early to tell the gender.  I am not one for surprises, so while the wait was hard, but in retrospect I am so glad that we did not know.  I did, however, have a hunch that he was a boy and had only boy clothes in his closet. 

My labor began at around 9:00, although I was in denial.  I was visiting Laura when I felt like I had the flu, and she called Dustin to come and get me, telling him "TAKE HER TO THE HOSPITAL".  I had a huge fear of going too early in my labor and being sent home.  So, I went home, took a shower, called my mom, and around 10:30 said we could go just to see what they said.  Upon my arrival at the hospital, the nurses discovered I was dilated to 7 cm, and the baby was well on his (or her) way.  I had great hopes that Judah would share a December 1st birthday with his great-grandpa, "Poppop", but he was still so very patient, and was not born until 12:32 AM.  I will never forget the way Dustin said, "ITS A BOY!" and the nurses took bets on his weight.  It was a fun-filled, ever so joyous night!

For nine years Judah has brought such joy and peace to me.   Those exact words were prayed/prophesied over him at 8 days old when a guest minister at our church stopped over his carseat and prayed and spoke a word from God over him.  That word has come to pass almost exactly in Judah's life.  He is such a combo of Dustin and me, he brings peace into our lives, he is not a hard boy to raise, and he follows after God with all of his heart.  As was spoken over him, the wisdom that comes from him never ceases to amaze me.  He hears God and speaks truth.    Judah is a thinker like his dad and loves life like his mom--a great combination to be! 

Happy Birthday Judah!

3 comments:

  1. i love that you were THREE WEEKS OVERDUE and you still didn't want to go to the hospital too early. i still love your blogs, even if we only get six a year :)

    happy birthday judah!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Judah! You are a gift that keeps on giving...and we love you very much. I'm so thankful for your life! You are thoughtful and kind and always a blessing!

    love you so much, Papa Scot and Ma Barbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love birth stories!

    Happy Birthday Judah...maybe your horrible auntie Rachel will send you a very belated birthday card (and one to all your other siblings that STILL have not recieved one this year!).

    ReplyDelete